I’ve been working on “meatloaf” since I went vegan/gluten free nearly a year ago. My poor family has suffered through some nearly inedible attempts. Some have been better than others, but this has by far been my best! I decided to make it into balls instead of the loaf shape to see if it made any difference. Also, you get more sauce covered surface area this way! I used my chickpea tofu recipe (before baking), and added in quinoa and some veggies. These would be great to make the day before, bake, then heat in the oven with the sauce then next day, as they tend to firm up more after they’ve sat. We loved them and I hope you do too! This recipe is vegan, gluten free, corn free, soy free, and processed sugar free.
For chickpea tofu:
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/8-1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp sage
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp parsley
- Prepare quinoa by package directions.
- Once done, add all of the remaining ingredients. Set aside to cool.
6 oz can tomato paste
1.5 cups water
3/4 cup maple syrup or honey (Or both)
Salt to taste
1 tsp mustard
2 dashes of clove
2 dashes of allspice
2 tsp coconut aminos
- Combine well.
3/4 cup chopped baby Bella mushrooms
3/4 cup onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
- Put all “other ingredients” in large mixing bowl.
- Add quinoa mixture.
- Crumble in tofu.
- Using your hands, combine well. Take your time so that all the ingredients are mixed together well.
- Shape into balls and place on well oiled baking dish. (I used glass oiled with coconut oil.)
- Place in preheated oven at 425.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flip, and add sauce, being sure to save some sauce for later!
- Bake another 30 minutes, flip again, add more sauce, and bake another 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool a bit before serving. 🙂
I hope you enjoy these as much as we did!! ❤