My family LOVED this recipe! Husband even wanted to take leftovers to work, and he’s NOT a leftover type of guy.
I’m always looking to make healthier alternatives to my favorite comfort foods. It’s not always easy finding recipes that fit my preferences, so I have to be creative.
This is actually a fairly easy meal to make! All the veggies get boiled in water with some spices, then you add in a milk/cashew/tapioca starch mixture. The dumplings are simple and only take an additional 15 minutes. This recipe is vegan, gluten free, soy free, and processed sugar free.
Vegan Gluten Free Veggie Soup with Dumplings
4-5 potatoes, chopped
5 carrots, chopped
One onion, chopped or diced
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
2 tsp garlic powder
2.5 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp parsley
1 tsp sea salt (or more to taste)
3/4 cup almond milk
1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews, presoaked
2 TBLS tapioca starch
- Soak cashews in water for at least 2 hours before needed.
- Add all soup ingredients except milk, cashews, and tapioca starch, to large pot. Add enough water to cover veggies, but not much more.
- Boil until veggies start to soften.
- Put milk, cashews, and tapioca starch in blender. Blend well.
- Add milk mixture to soup. Stir well. Let summer until thickened a bit.
2 cups Bob’s Gluten Free Baking Mix
1 TBLS baking powder (I use aluminum free)
3/4 cup almond milk
1/2 tsp honey or pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup melted/semi melted coconut oil
- Mix all ingredients in mixing bowl except coconut oil.
- Add coconut oil and mix well. (I use my hands at this point.)
- Form dumplings with hands and gently drop into soup. Soup should still be boiling/simmering.
- Once all dumplings are added, cover pot with a lid and leave alone for 15 minutes. *be sure heat isnt too high so you don’t burn the bottom of your soup!
- Remove from heat and serve!
Hope you all enjoy this as much as we did! If you have any suggestions on comfort food you’d like to see made vegan/gluten free/ soy free, leave a comment!!