I grew up eating frozen pot pies fairly often. Back when they still came in a metal pie pan and you actually baked them in the oven. My current diet doesn’t allow for most pre-made foods, so I had to come up with my own version. And well, I’m kind of a lazy cook. I’m also self taught and rather uneducated in the “ways” of cooking. So bear with me!! My family really enjoyed this recipe and I hope yours does too. This recipe is vegan, gluten free, soy free, corn free, and processed sugar free.
Vegan Gluten Free Lazy Pot Pie
4 medium potatoes
2 large carrots
1 small onion
1 garlic clove, minced
½ cup mushrooms
1 tsp seas salt
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp celery seed
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp parsley
¼ tsp paprika
½ cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked (at least 2 hours)
½ tsp lemon juice
1 tsp tapioca starch
½ cup almond milk
1 cup oat flour
1 cup gluten free baking mix (I use Bob’s)
½ tsp sea salt
2 tbls olive oil
2 tbls coconut oil
½ cup water
- Cut veggies to desired size. Add all of them to pot. Add enough water just to cover the veggies.
- Add garlic, salt, pepper, celery seed, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, paprika.
- Cook on medium heat until veggies are tender. Drain some water if there is a lot left. You don’t want it ti be too soupy when you add the cashew mixture!
- In blender add cashews, water, lemon juice, tapioca starch, and almond milk. Blend well until smooth.
- Add blender mix to pot. Simmer until thickened a bit.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a mixing bowl add all crust ingredients.
- Roll out to desired thickness (should be the size of whatever casserole dish you are using.) Poke holes with a fork.
- Pour base into casserole dish.
- Gently place crust on top of casserole.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes depending on thickness of crust. Remove from oven and serve.