This quick EASY meal is made regularly in our home. I always have the ingredients on hand so it’s great for those nights where I don’t want to think too much about what I’m doing. I was making a mushroom gravy at first, then I got the idea to make a more hardy meal by adding quinoa for texture and to add more of the “beef” feeling of the gravy my mom made growing up. (Anyone else grow up eating “Sh** on a shingle?! 😀 ) This week I added some carrots and peas, mostly because I was too lazy to make a side dish. This recipe is vegan, gluten free, soy free, corn free, processed sugar free, and additive/preservative free.
Easy Vegan Mashed Potatoes with “Beefy” Vegetable Gravy
5 large-medium sized potatoes, chopped
1 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
1/4-1/2 tsp pepper (or to taste)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 TBLS olive oil
1 TBLS coconut oil
1.5 cups almond milk
- Add chopped potatoes to a pot of boiling water. Boil 20 minutes or until soft.
- Drain water.
- Add other ingredients.
- Mash well using potato masher.
“Beefy” Vegetable Gravy
1 TBLS olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion, divided in half
1.5 cup chopped baby Bella mushrooms + 1/2-3/4 cup more
1 garlic clove
1.5 cup broth
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp celery seed
sea salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup dry quinoa
2 carrots, chopped
1/2 tsp of your favorite steak seasoning
1 cup frozen peas
- Heat oil in sauce pan.
- Add half of the onion, 1.5 cups mushrooms, and garlic clove (can remain whole)
- Cook for 5 minutes
- Add broth, paprika, celery seed, steak seasoning, salt, and pepper, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Place sauce pan contents into blender and blend well.
- Add back to sauce pan and add remaining ingredients, except peas.
- Cook until quinoa is done. About 15-20 minute.
- Add peas. Cook 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve over mashed potatoes. Enjoy!