I’ve been sort of in a rut with my creativity in the kitchen lately. Maybe it’s because I’m so pregnant I could pop, or maybe it’s because I’ve been really focused on my Wellness Coaching biz. Either way, I’m SO bored with the meals I’ve been making. I had to put my brain to use to come up with something different, with out going out for ingredients.
I’ve tried making vegan pepperoni before, and also a couple different types of vegan sausage, but it just wasn’t doing it for me. After making my “corned beef” for New Years, I realized the key was tapioca starch. The consistency and flavor aren’t PERFECT, so if you’re a regular meateater expecting this to be an exact replica of your beloved sausage, you’ll surely be disappointed. I’m hoping to eventually figure out how to get that sausage SNAP when you bite into it, but that’s still a ways off. This is however, a pretty fine sausage replacement for someone who hasn’t had sausage for over a year, and has a bit of imagination. 😉 I put mine in a skillet with potatos and sauerkraut. This recipe is Vegan, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Processed Sugar Free, and Corn Free.
1 3/4 cup garbanzo flour
1 cup water
1/2 cup cooked quinoa (pulsed in blender)
1/4 cup water + 1 TBLS tapioca starch mix in
1/2 tsp sea salt (or more if you like it salty)
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp ground star anise (or fennel. I just didn’t have any on hand.)
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp honey or pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp sage
- Place all ingredients in sauce pan. Heat on low stiring continuously until very thick. Will be hard to stir. *Some will likely stick to pan. That’s normal.*
- Use waxed paper to roll into logs. I made two, but could have done three thinner ones.
- Remove from wax paper and place on dish. Add a little paprika to the outside of “sausages”. Refrigerate for at least two hours before use.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Slice “sausages”. Add to pan. Flip when lightly browned.
- When browned on both sides remove from heat. Serve as desired.
Hope you enjoy!! ❤